Our inborn temperament in placed within us by God while we are in our mother's womb. This temperament will remain with us throughout our lives. How we do (or do not) express this temperament can be affected by the following:
- Our upbringing (how we were raised as children)
- Our environment
- Our education and training
- By the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives
Sometimes A Mask
Sometimes a person can learn or select behavior that is very different from their inborn temperament. This mask hides the true temperament. As a result this person's temperament needs are not met, and he/she feels stress and conflict.
Our Conflicts...Every person is unique and has different temperament needs. When we attempt to get these needs met apart from our relationship with God, we have conflict in our lives. These conflicts are caused by:
- Trying to get our needs met apart from God's plan for our lives.
- Not getting certain needs met because we are spending all our energy meeting some needs while ignoring others.
- Reacting in a negative (angry, frustrated) way to unmet temperament needs.
Strengths and WeaknessesEvery temperament has strengths and weaknesses. The description of your temperament will include strengths and weaknesses which are usually demonstrated in someone who had your temperament profile. This does not mean that you personally show these strengths and weaknesses in your individual, unique life. It does show you some of the areas of strengths that can be encouraged as well as some areas of weaknesses that you can be aware of.
Three Areas of TemperamentThe three areas of temperament are as follows:
- Inclusion - the need to establish and maintain a
satisfactory relationship with people in the area of surface
relationships, associations and socialization (parties,
social gatherings, and people who come in and out of our
lives every day).
- How many people do I approach for socializing?
- How many people do I want to approach me for socializing?
- How many people do I want to control?
- How many people will I allow to control me?
- How much love and affection do I express to others?
- How much love and affection do I want expressed to me?